A+ A A-

The National Trust

Much of Broadclyst Parish is part of Killerton Estate which is now owned by the National Trust. The estate was given to the NT by Sir Richard Acland in 1944. The estate extends to over 6400 acres, including working farms and 240 cottages. Of these, almost 30 are of medieval origin. Many of the properties owned by the National Trust are identifiable by their yellow rendering. There are several properties that are open the the public as well as Ashclyst Forest.

Killerton House

Information from http://www.britainexpress.com

The Killerton estate is first mentioned in 1242. It is believed that the name originated with a family named Kildrington. In the Elizabethan period the estate was sold to the Acland family, who owned the adjoining manor at ColumbJohn. In the 18th century Sir Thomas Acland, the 7th Baronet, moved the family seat to Killerton.

The architect of the new house was John Johnson, who was instructed by Sir Thomas to build a temporary residence until a more elaborate home could be built on he hill above the site.

Unfortunately, Sir Thomas's son died shortly after in 1778, and he abandoned plans for a second mansion. The house was remodeled and expanded several times over the subsequent centuries, but it is essentially the same building that Johnson planned. Killerton has an 18 acre hillside garden within 4000 acres of woods, originally created at the time the house was built by Scotsman John Veitch. Veitch and his son James created a network of woodland paths and planted varieties of foreign trees and shrubs, including Wellingtonia. Because of its mild climate Killerton was used as something of a trial ground for plants brought back from all corners of the globe, and many plants which are now found throughout the British Isles were first planted at Killerton. Later the influential Victorian garden writer William Robinson had a hand in the design of the Killerton gardens. "Killerton Clump", also known as Dolbury ("Dola's burh") is a wooded hill behind the house. Around the summit of the hill are the remnants of an earthwork, a simple, defensive enclosure with ram- part and ditch that probably dates to the Early Iron Age. The hill is reputed to be protected by the Killerton Dragon, which every night flies between Killerton and Cadbury Hill to keep safe a hidden treasure. Killerton House is home to the 'Paulise de Bush' costume collection. The first floor of the house is given over to the collection, which displays over 9000 outfits. There is also a tea-room and restaurant as well as a plant center.

Markers Cottage

Markers Cottage is a small cob and thatch cottage in the centre of Broadclyst village, built in the 15th Centuary. The cottage has an excellent medieval painted screen with an unusual mix of secular and religious themes. The name of the cottage comes from a previous owner, Sarah MARKER. According to the Land Tax Assessments she owned the property between 1790 and 1814. It was later passed to the Acland family before being given to the National Trust by Sir Richard Acland

Markers Cottage
Budlake Old Post Office Room
The Old Post Office at Budlake is a small thatched 1950s Post Office Room. Outside are a wash-house, double-seated privy, pigsty and chicken house, ½-acre garden with vegetable plot, cottage garden, herb and rose borders

Clyston Mill


Clyston Mill is a water-powered grain mill that makes us of the River Clyst. It dates from the 19th century. It is currently in working order and produces flour. It is on the west of Broadclyst village

Ashclyst Forest

Ashclyst Forest, in the northwest of the Parish, is part of the Killerton estate and managed by the National Trust. There are four well-marked routes around the Forest, some of which give lovely views over the Parish.

Login

Log in to your account or

Register

User Registration
or Cancel